Saturday, September 24, 2011

One More Chance!

Lately I've been so inspired by the Local Indie film scene. Damn it I love FILIPINO FILMS. I friggin love it! mabuhay Pilipinas!!



So when it comes to Filipino films, I used to be just like many Filipinos. Thinking how failed our film industry was - how were so tired of "actors" turned political personalities, the distorted realities, the doting love scenes that seem to never end, the complete raping of a story-line. "Filipino movies suck" - the common reaction I'd get from people when I'd mention Filipino movies.

i hate this movie.

Yet I want to share a few things that have changed my mind about filipino films. This is a countdown, just like in 2001 when we'd watch the myx daily top ten. so the arrangement is least impact to greatest impact. lets start with number 5..


#5 John Lloyd Cruz

  • I know people may think this is the weirdest thing. (Now that I think about it, this should probably no. 28 or something - maybe im just looking for reasons to google him? Haha!) How could John Lloyd make me like the indie film scene more? when he's so mainstream?  but I like John Lloyd Cruz. Why? because he's weird, baduy, he looks like a baby when he cries and well, hes chubby. John Lloyd was the first leading man of my time to be different in this way. Guys aren't always buff nor smooth - and i found it refreshing that Philippine cinema recognized that. It was probably just some marketing strategy, but I didn't mind. In high school I'd watch One More Chance, laugh and get kilig. I didnt think I'd ever feel this way after Rico Yan's passing. I felt excited about these cheesy movies. HAHA and I actually started enjoying Filipino movies again.



#4 Brillante Mendoza and Kidlat Tahimik 
  • These two are brilliant directors. They are 100% filipino. Both embraced their art whole-heartedly. I learned from my film class that Brillante Mendoza actually won best director at the Cannes film festival (against Inglorious Basterds. woo!) Kidlat Tahimik had his film shown all over the world, even having the rights of one of his films bought by Francis Ford Copolla. I have yet to see either of these award winning films (its so hard to find a copy!), but i can't wait. Maybe you'd think, why would this be a reason to love filipino cinema if you havent even seen the film?
Brillante Mendoza

My point with this number is, If people from other countries can recognize our artists, why can't we? There's a secret world that is filipino film - and it is beautiful. If youre the kind of person who thought Filipino movies would never get anywhere, well I hope this gets you excited.


Kidlat Tahimik and his favorite get-up, no matter the country or climate condition


#3 Ang Huling El Bimbo 
  • This music video stuck with me since the first moment I saw it. now i watch it whenever I feel like I need inspiration for my course. This video was directed by Aureus Solito, whos movie Busong made it to the Cannes film festival this year. I love this video because its so honest and truthful. through my growing up, this film made me see how much potential Philippine Cinema had. (well this was before I learned about the golden ages and the like) it gave me hope.

watch the full version here-->    http://vimeo.com/8800666


#2 Cinemalaya 
  • It was my first time to watch films from Cinemalaya this year. If Huling El Bimbo was my first taste of Filipino film making genius, then Cinemalaya was the buffet. Ive watched Isda, Zombadings, Rakenroll and ang Babae sa Septic Tank. I'll never forget watching Babae sa Septic Tank, and having the audience laugh and clap during each scene. I felt like from becoming strangers, we became friends around a campfire. it was such a beautiful feeling, to laugh with a stranger, to be a part of something bigger. 


#1 Lino Brocka
  • This sealed the deal for me. Filipino cinema will forever be drilled into my soul because of this one director. I saw "Tinimbang ka Ngunit Kulang" and it changed my life. "Lino Brocka" was a name that was familiar. I never thought his work would mean so much to me (well because no one ever really told me why he was so famous)- I couldn't be more wrong. He made this film at a time when the Philippines was going through tough political situations, and censorship was rampant. While most people can be sad about the roses having thorns, Lino Brocka showed everyone how it was to rejoice that the thorns have roses. He is wonderful. 


hello, christopher de leon!

I know we cant blame our industry for making crappy mainstream films..they always use the masses as an excuse - how they need to make money, so they sell out. I don't believe in that though. I don't believe the masses can't appreciate a good film. A good film is one that can make a person feel human. Are they suggesting that poverty masks people from appreciating art? it doesnt make sense to me.

I feel like ive found a secret treasure chest. what i want anyone who reads this to remember is Filipino films arent worth loving just because they're Filipino. They're worth loving because they're a class of their own. No matter the country, we have been recognized because we have created something beautiful. Ive gotten so much hope from just watching these movies - not just hope for the country, but just hope for life in general. After all, life can get pretty ugly..and here we have starving artists who dare to create, who dare to be different, who dare to defy. Is there anything more real than that?


Now I watch foreign films and I find myself laughing, comparing them to filipino movies I love, and how they can never replace the work of these brilliant filmmakers. When I  interviewed Mr. Aureus Solito for my film class finals, he told me this: 

"We are on the verge of a Golden Age of Philippine Cinema."
if that is true, I hope we don't miss it. I hope you give it one more chance :)

2 comments:

  1. I'll think about it :D hahaha =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way. Really enjoyed reading it. Very nice article... :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete